Thursday, November 17, 2011

Emma and Emma's day of fun

Sometimes alone time drags me into the depths of nothingness and I start to feel like a puddle of oozing mulch that's slowly melting into the floor. In other words, gross. And other days, it all just comes together, and Emma and I have a fabulous time. Today was one of those days. Let me share with you some highlights:

-I have thus far completed seven out of the thirteen items on my to do list (one of which I've decided to put off until a later date. Who really needs clean laundry, anyway?)
-There is a beautiful old Catholic church in my neighborhood that I love to walk by. It makes me feel like I live in Europe (actually, I don't know how old it is--it could've been built last year, but I like to think it's old).
-When it's raining, and you walk under an umbrella, and then it gets really windy, your hair swirls around like you're a witch in the middle of a particularly evil spell. It's quite an extraordinary experience.
-Speaking of umbrellas and wind, I'm about to add to my bucket list that I want to be walking with an umbrella and have it spontaneously turn inside out, like in the movies.
-Bookstores make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, and it makes me a little sad that I'm contemplating buying a Kindle.
-Today as I walked past Starbucks, there was a man sitting by himself inside the window. He was on the phone. I decided to give him some intense eye contact because I think it's funny to trick people into thinking they've just had a special moment with a stranger. In my imagination, he'd be thinking, "What if she was the ONE?" and freaking out about his impending marriage.
-I got caught up in a lover's quarrel on my way home, which involved the guy saying to the girl, referring to me, "If you don't believe me, ask HER! She's been walking right behind us!" I felt strangely powerful, and also really uncomfortable.

And now I am home, sitting on my cheap Walmart couch, staring at our beautiful new rug which my roommate and I hauled home from the rug store down the street amid a barrage of amazed stares (flight attendant uniforms? Check. High heels? Check. Starbucks coffee? Check. Enormous rolled up carpet slung under our arms and suspended between us? Ch....what??). It's rainy and gray outside, and it's beautiful. It's a beautiful day.

1 comment:

  1. You have a rare and exquisite humor, sis. Love your quirky and fresh perspective on life :)

    ReplyDelete