Tuesday, May 25, 2010

accidentally on purpose

Consider these last couple of weeks a long comfortable silence between close friends. Sometimes there are no words to say. And now, my biggest news: last night I pulled out a sizable cluster of eyelashes from my poor left eye. Said eye is undergoing a bit of an identity crisis. It seems to be blinking more rapidly due to the loss of eyelid-weight, and altogether too much air is being allowed into the eye itself. Due to some tricky bits of mascara artistry, the missing chunk is not noticeable to the naked eye, except perhaps to people who are taller than me. I've been told that from above, the gap is quite vivid.

The real issue here was, I believed, quite obvious. Trichotillomania, the self-induced loss of hair, from compulsive hair-pulling. Many a roommate of mine has been privy to my obsessive nightly tweezing ritual. But precisely because I have impeccable eyebrows, I don't believe that trichotillomania is my problem. If there is any question of this, all one has to do is a google image search of this disorder. No, this particular eyelash incident was just an accident. However, it has tampered with my personal equilibrium (both physical and psychological), leading me to the conclusion that "hair is everything," something a very good friend of mine once said, and I have often repeated to myself. No doubt in the 45-60 days it takes my eyelashes to fully regrow, I will have time to ponder this timeless truth.

Since it appears that Mayra still reads my blog (as do others, though quite invisibly), I will once again come up with a new Japanese word for you. Bosa-bosa is a term often used to describe my hair. Basically, it means "frizzy," or "messy," neither of which can be said of Mayra's hair.

1 comment:

  1. hahah wow!! i can't picture you without a section of eyelash! maybe u should squint your eyes a bit..keep ppl from looking at ur lashes? what? your eyes are huge! =) lovely =) Oh my gosh..i got bangs! i wanted side bangs...but the lady chopped it off wrong =( devistating. i went to get it fixed. I had to hide the missing chunck with regular bangs...oh well lol if i blow dry my hair now.. its bosa-bosa =( lol it's okay though =)
    YES I STILL READ THE BLOGS>...KEEP THE WORDS COMING GIRL =)

    ReplyDelete